Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Adventures of a Tiny Teacher #2

Ants. Yes, ants. That's what caused me to be late to my second day of work as a professional teacher.

Allow me to explain:

When I relocated to rural Texas, there was nothing (I mean nothing) to rent due to the oil boom. (Imagine roughneck oil men making more than I do as a teacher! Gasp!) My parents graciously allowed me to use their RV until I found something else.

As my parents helped me park the RV and set up, none of us anticipated  these words from the park host:

"Now, when ya go to use the commode in your RV, just put the paper to the side in a little waste basket and carry it out with you next time ya leave." The RV Park Host noticed my shock and rattled off an explanation, "Now, up here we use a septic tank, not city waste or nothing. In fact, our pipes have to go up the hill to the cow pasture and it sprays the water out. It's the kind that sprays out the goo and since it has to go up hill and all, we don't use toilet paper so it won't clog."

I had unknowingly signed up to pass on my right to flush toilet paper for an indefinite amount of time (most likely months) and have a tiny waste basket next to the toilet (that would barely flush with any water) to contain my toilet paper with unmentionable things attached to it.

Well, by the grace of God, I sucked it up. However, I decided, however, to outwit the system. Each morning before I left for work, I would rest that awful plastic bag on the top step of the RV so I could grab it on the way out.

That particular morning, I grabbed the bag and put it in the passenger seat of my SUV to toss out at the dumpster as I left the park. I forgot. How I could forget THAT, I'll never know.

Well, I drove to Sonic to pick up my Diet Coke my teaching survival essential. After I paid and sat my drink into the cup holder, I glanced over and noticed the awful plastic bag. I decided I would not throw it away at Sonic because the thought just sounded gross. I put my hand on the bag as a reminder to turn back to the RV park when ouch! Then another one! Then another one!

My hand, the bag, the passenger seat were covered in ants! I grabbed it and shoved it into the trashcan at Sonic. Mental picture: Me grabbing the bag, pulling across me to the trashcan, quick push in and release only to find that, yes, I was covered in ants. I pulled my car to the side springing out and shaking off my clothes while pounding hundreds of ants onto my seat cushions, then brushing away the dead.

However, there's just something about ant bites that stay with you long after they damage has been done.

As I tried to teach my class that morning, I noticed I kept backing up the chalk board (yes, chalk board) and trying to sneak in a scratch. Sensing that something was not right, my most perceptive student spoke up in his broken English. "Are you okay?" I turned into a cherry tomato and began to unravel my morning in an animated story.

Again, that student said "It's okay, Ms. S. Sometimes you just gotta scratch" and so I did.

I laughed, they laughed, and we moved on; I did, however, visit the nurse to get some Caladryl.

Food for Thought: Students will respond to our response; it's okay to be genuine when life hands you the unexpected because we are teaching them an appropriate response.


No comments:

Post a Comment